Passport.io is committed to safeguarding the information of the individuals who interact with its service, and ensuring that your information is used fairly and with your full understanding of how we’ll use it. This policy describes our practices in detail, but in general, here is what you need to know:
We use the information we collect to confirm and verify your identity, prevent abuse of the site, and to help our merchant partners carry out their legal and contractual obligations to prevent fraud and money laundering on financial services sites.
We may disclose information we gain during your use of the Passport.io service to your bank, our third party partners to the extent necessary to provide our services, or to law enforcement upon receipt of a valid legal request.
More information about our collection, use and disclosure of your information can be found in the sections below.
We will gather personal information about you under the following circumstances:
- When you access our website or visit a page that integrates our service: Our service gathers information automatically transmitted from the device(s) you use to access our website or the sites integrating our service, such as your IP address, unique device identifier, browser information, and system (e.g., operating system) information. This information, alone or combined with other information, may allow you to be identified.
- When you create a Passport.io account: Any information you provide to Passport.io during the process of signing up for an account will be transmitted to us. This includes copies of any identity verification documents, as well as your first and last name and email.
- When you communicate with our verification analysts: If you initiate communication with one of our verification analysts, you will be prompted to provide additional information about yourself to aid us in locating your account and as relevant to answer any questions you pose. Additionally, our verification analyst team may contact you to request further proof of personal identity, such as a new or updated picture of a legal identification document or payment method, in order to ensure a transaction attempted under the auspices of your account is valid or to the extent it otherwise may be necessary to comply with our partners’ legal obligations as a financial institution.
Children under the age of 18 are not allowed to use our service, and we do not knowingly collect or use any information from children or other individuals legally prohibited from using our website. To the extent you believe we have collected any information from children, please notify us immediately so we can take appropriate measures, including by promptly deleting it to the extent we are permitted to do so by law.
We only use your data for the following reasons:
- To offer the Passport.io service: We will use your personal information as necessary to provide the Passport.io service, including to the extent necessary to process the transaction you initiated, verify your identity, authenticate your access of a Passport.io account, and communicate with you about the service.
- To manage risk and protect you, the site and our service: We use your information to help us detect and prevent fraud and identity theft, as well as to prevent abuse of our service.
- To comply with our legal obligations, such as all applicable industry regulations and our contractual obligations to the third party merchants who use our service to verify their users.
- For our other legitimate business needs: We may need to use your personal information in order to enforce our contracts and terms of service and monitor activity on the site.
Your data may be disclosed to third parties in any or all of the following circumstances. Because your privacy is important to us, we have taken measures to ensure that all of the entities we share your information with have implemented strong data privacy and data protection practices of a level comparable to that which we employ.
- When our affiliates need it to help provide the Passport.io service: Passport.io has affiliates around the world that assist it in providing the Passport.io service. We may provide your information to these affiliates for any of the purposes we would ourselves use your information, including verifying your identity, preventing fraud or illegal activity, and enforcing our terms and conditions.
- When our partners need it to authenticate a transaction or business relationship you initiated: To the extent necessary, we will share certain information about you with our third party partners to help facilitate the transactions and your use of their services.
- When other third parties that provide us with services require it in order to provide such services, such as our server hosting providers and independent auditors we engage for the purposes of analyzing our compliance with the law or relevant independent standards.
- To the extent required by law: We will share your information with third parties to the extent we are required to do so by law. For example, we may have to disclose your information when we receive a valid subpoena or other law enforcement request, or when the law requires us to affirmatively notify law enforcement in order to prevent harm or illegal activity. The necessity of all such disclosures will be determined in our sole discretion. For more information on our procedures related to legal requests, please feel free to contact us email@example.com.
- To the extent our legitimate business interests require us to do so, for example to support our corporate governance activities or facilitate the sale or other transfer of all or part of our business, or to protect us or our service.
We are required to retain many types of your personal information by law, often for a period of several years. We may additionally retain your information for a longer period than is required by law to the extent it is in our legitimate business interests to do so (for instance, we may retain it to prevent fraud on our service) and is not otherwise prohibited by law.
Should you opt you to close your Passport.io account, your account will be marked as ‘closed’ in our database and we will stop all processing activities related to your personal information. Note, however, that our third party partners will still retain any copies of your personal information they received from us, and may be required by law to keep such copies even if you request that they delete them. Please consult with our individual partners for more information on their retention policies.
We use servers located in the United States and the European Union to store personal information gathered by the Passport.io service. Additionally, to the extent we transfer your information to a third party, including our affiliates, as described in this policy, these third parties may be located outside our usual business location and your country of residence. In all such cases, data transfers will be carried out only after we ensure the third party provides comparable levels of data protection and that they will use your information only for the purposes set out in this policy.
End User Questions and Access
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our privacy practices firstname.lastname@example.org.
Users located in the EU: To exercise your right of data access, correction, or deletion, please contact us at email@example.com, though in all cases we may not be able to comply where we are prohibited from doing so by other legal obligations. Note that photo identification may be required in order to grant an individual access to their requested personal information. For further questions and concerns, you may reach our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not satisfied with the way we resolve your inquiries, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Supervisory Authority for data protection located in your country of residence.